Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
Free Appropriate Public Education, also known as FAPE, guarantees that kids with disabilities and thinking differences will have access to a public education that is free.
What is covered by FAPE?
- Special Education provided for students who have a unique way of learning
- Related services such as counseling or speech and language
- Services are provided at no charge
- Accommodations and modifications to access the curriculum
- Individualized Education Programs to meet the specific needs of a student that qualifies for Special Education
- Teach a student in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
What IS NOT covered by FAPE?
- Provide services to maximize a student’s potential - rather it is to provide service to help a student make progress
- Provide a specific program or class setting that you want. The IEP team makes the final decision
- Guarantee a spot on a extracurricular activity or sport.