2018-19 Advisory Calendar
Advisory Day Schedule
Advisory Grade Partners
Feel free to send suggestions and feedback to the Advisory Committee.
Advisory ProgramThe advisory program at Montville High School promotes meaningful relationships between staff and students while meeting the developmental and educational needs of students.
students experience caring and connectedness at school they exhibit
academic, social, and ethical benefits including greater enjoyment of
learning, stronger motivation to act kindly toward others, and stronger
feelings of social competence.” (Breaking Ranks, NASSP, 1996)
Purpose of Advisory
- COMMUNITY: The
Advisory is a place to personalize and individualize the MHS educational
program to enhance the school’s sense of community.
- SKILLS: The Advisory is a place to support the development of life and relationship skills.
- ADVOCACY: The Advisory is a place to encourage and cultivate leadership and self-advocacy skills.
- INVIGORATION: The Advisory is a place to have fun and to learn about group processes and dynamics.
Advisory is designed to provide:
- An advocate to every student to help them personalize their educational experience.
additional structure to make sure at least one adult knows each
student's aspirations, strengths, weaknesses and level of progress.
- A time to review topics and issues relevant to students.
- A place for new students to be welcomed.
- An opportunity for students to have questions answered by staff and peers.
The Roles and Responsibilities of the Advisor
- To act as coach and advocate.
- To encourage advisees to participate in the life of MHS.
- To encourage advisees to achieve their academic potential in support of their Student Success Plans (SSPs).
- To obtain answers to student’s academic and extra-curricular questions.
- To facilitate discussion of relevant topics.
- To discuss current issues in students' lives.
- To help student’s problem solve current concerns or issues.
- To help students guide other students through problems.
Advisory meets twice a month for 30 minutes in-between the second and third blocks.