Principal Jill Mazzalupo
30 Indiana Circle, Oakdale, CT 06370
Phone: 860.859.1800 Fax: 860.859.2170
Please bring your photo ID when visiting Oakdale School.
Grades K to 5: 8:45 a.m. to 3:20 p.m.
A.M. Pre-K: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
P.M. Pre-K: 12:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
Please email daily dismissal changes to both secretaries: OakdaleOffice2@montvilleschools.org Handwritten notes are good too!
Half Days & Early Dismissals
Grades K to 5: Dismissal at 12:25 p.m.
A.M. Pre-K: Dismissal at 10:40 a.m.
No PM Pre-K session.
Two Hour Delay Start Time
Grades K to 5: 10:45 a.m.
No A.M. Pre-K
P.M. Pre-K 12:35 p.m. (regular start time)
ARRIVAL - School begins at 8:45 a.m.
Student drop off: 8:30 a.m. - 8:40 a.m.
Crossing guards will be present at the corner of Indiana Circle and Connecticut Boulevard AND Maryland Road and Connecticut Boulevard. Students walking from Maryland Drive will enter as follows: K-2 will go in through PK doors and 3-5 will go through middle hallway doors. Students walking from Indiana Circle will enter as follows: Students will enter through the cafeteria doors. Students in K-2 will turn left down the lower grade hallway and students in grades 3-5 will turn right down the upper grade hallway.
Parents will drop students on the back playground. Students will enter through the cafeteria doors. Students in K-2 will turn left down the lower grade hallway and students in grades 3-5 will turn right down the upper grade hallway. Students will report directly to their classrooms.
All late arrivals will need to be escorted into the front foyer. A sign in sheet will be there for parents to complete. Students can be buzzed in to go to their classes. Parents will complete the form and leave for retrieval from office staff. Masks must be worn at all times.
It is our goal to facilitate the safest and most efficient arrival and drop-off procedures possible during this school year. Please carefully read the dismissal procedures further down this page.
Additional drop-off information
- Students are not to be dropped off until a staff member begins supervising drop-off.
- Please say your goodbyes to your child prior to the time they are exiting the vehicle.
- Students are to exit vehicles ONLY on the passenger side once the vehicle has reached the drop off point.
- If your child cannot exit the car on the passenger side then you MUST park your car in a marked parking spot and escort your child through the parking lot to the entrance. We are trying to unload 5-6 cars at a time to keep the line moving. We cannot hold up the line or have any child in the path of moving cars. This will be strictly enforced.
- Cars will exit the parking lot in one line. Passing other vehicles in the line is strictly prohibited to ensure the safety of everyone.
- Drop-off ends promptly at 8:40 AM; after that time parents/guardians must park their car in a marked parking spot and escort their child through the parking lot all the way to entrance.
- Please do not park your car in a "no parking area," in the bus lane, or alongside the sidewalk and do not drop your child off without an escort through the parking lot.
- Students walking to school will follow the sidewalks to the appropriate entrance.
DISMISSAL 3:20 p.m. (beginning dismissal process at 3:15 p.m.)
Kindergarten Walkers/Parent Pick-ups
Kindergarten walkers will be dismissed first. Kindergarten walkers who walk home with older siblings will wait by the middle hallway doors.
Kindergarten walkers who get picked up by an adult will be brought to the cafeteria by staff members on duty. Students will be dismissed to an adult through the back cafeteria doors.
Students who walk home on their own (by written parental permission only) will exit through the middle hallway doors.
Students who get picked up by an adult will be called to the cafeteria with siblings from 1st through 5th grade. Students will be dismissed to an adult through the back cafeteria doors.
Students who do not routinely get picked up will need to be signed out in the office and a note must have been sent to school in the morning with the student notifying the office of the pick-up. These students will be called by name directly to the office. Changes in schedules during the day should not occur unless it is an emergency. Repeated requests for making changes to the schedule during the day will be addressed.
After all walkers and parent pick-ups are called, buses will be called as they arrive.
Students will load the bus from back to front by grade level.
Additional dismissal information
Students will be dismissed in one of the following ways:
Dismissal as an independent walker, with written parental permission, to walk off school grounds.
- These are students walking off of school grounds every day.
- Walkers will be dismissed by a staff member.
- Students are not allowed to walk out of the building to a parked car without an escort.
Dismissal as a pick-up - These are students being picked up every day.
- Pick-ups will be dismissed by staff members in the cafeteria.
- Students who are picked up every day do not need to be signed out since you have indicated to us that your child's normal dismissal will be as a pick-up.
- You will be met at the cafeteria's back entrance by a staff member.
- You may park your car in the back on the upper-grade playground, if you'd like.
Dismissal as a bus rider - Students who ride an assigned bus every day.
- Bus riders will be dismissed by staff members to their assigned buses.
Dismissal as an occasional pick-up - Students being picked up outside of their normal routines.
- Occasional pick-ups will be dismissed by the secretary in the office.
- These students must be signed out to indicate there has been a change in their normal routine.
- They will be called by name to the office when walkers and pick-ups are dismissed.
Please send a note to school with your child if there is a change in the typical routine. Please refrain from calling the school to make transportation changes during the school day unless it is an emergency. Changes to dismissal will not occur without a note or email; we understand that emergencies may arise, but repeated changes become disruptive.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, you may call the office at (860) 859-1800.
Oakdale Elementary School opened in 1964. Renovations and additions were completed in 2007. Oakdale School is one of three elementary schools in the Town of Montville. There are 339 students at Oakdale. That number includes our preschool students as Oakdale also hosts the Montville Integrated Preschool for our district. Our primary goal of education is the whole child as seen through our curriculum and activities at Oakdale School. Educational programs are brought into the school, which include Mystic Aquarium and Demos R Us.
There are four school rules: Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Safe, and Build Community.
Staff and students welcome community into the school with volunteer opportunities and the annual Giving Tree. Students give back through an annual nonperishable food drive and have conducting other community care events such as cards sent to military personnel serving overseas, collecting of cold weather essential items, and United Way personal care item drives.
Students are offered a variety of after school activities such as literacy and math clubs and enrichment activities. Each grade level takes a turn hosting a "Town Meeting" that is attended by the entire school. The Oakdale Community Club (The OCC) supports the mission of Oakdale Elementary School and works to involve the students in activities that have a positive impact on the school and the community.