MOHEGAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL'S HISTORY
Mohegan Elementary School is located in the "Mohegan" or Uncasville section of the Town of Montville. Mohegan is a name attributed to the northeastern corner of Montville. The City of Norwich forms Montville's northern border. Montville is also bordered by the Town of Salem to the west, the Thames River to the east, and by the towns of Waterford and East Lyme to the south.
The Mohegan section of Montville was settled by the Mohegan-Pequot Indians. Members of this tribe migrated to Connecticut from upstate New York in the 17th century. The Mohegan-Pequots settled in Eastern Connecticut just before the colonists. Many of the Mohegan descendants continue to reside in this area of the community and have received their primary education at Mohegan Elementary School. The tribal descendants received federal recognition and have reestablished their reservation on 255 acres in Mohegan where they operate the Mohegan Sun casino.
Mohegan Elementary School was opened in 1959 as a K-8 grade school for students who occupied the lands that had formerly comprised the Mohegan Reservation and its immediate surrounding area. The school was expanded in 1966 to accommodate the growth of the community. Mohegan Elementary School became a K-6 grade school in 1963. With the opening of Tyl Middle School in 1992, Mohegan then became a K-5 grade school. Present enrollment is approximately 340 students.