The Montville High School English Department strives to equip students with the skills necessary for success in the 21st century. Through their engagement with a rich and varied curriculum, soundly based in the Connecticut English Language Arts Common Core Standards, students will
• develop written and oral communication skills for creative, academic, and professional purposes;
• enrich their understanding of literatures and genres of diverse periods and cultures;
• strengthen their critical reading, analytical thinking, and problem solving abilities;
• broaden their understanding of and facility with the English language; and
• enhance their research skills, using a variety of media.
The mission of the English Department at Montville High School is to foster an appreciation of language through thoughtful analysis of selected novels, short stories, plays, memoirs, essays, films, and poems; to increase students' reading comprehension; to develop students' ability to write thoughtful, detailed, grammatically correct essays; to improve students' vocabulary; to promote successful results in the PSAT, the SAT, the CAPT, the AP exams, and the UCONN Early College Experience classes.